Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tummy time and smiles...

My, how time does fly! Aidan is 2 1/2 months old now, and I can't believe how fast it's gone by. She is now lifting up her head, smiling, cooing, sleeping through the night and wrapping her Daddy around her little finger. She is such a joy to behold. We're convinced her smiles and coos are the sweetest sight ever beheld! :-)
I am also seeing how the Lord uses our little blessing to make us more like Himself. Derek and I have decided that the best way to come face-to-face with your own selfishness and love of comfort is to have a baby. Somewhere between 5am feedings, diaper changes, and sleep deprivation, we have seen the Lord slowly (and sometimes painfully) draw our sin to the surface like dross and lovingly refine us. We are also seeing such a picture of the Lord's love for us during this time. While it is often so hard as we learn how to take care of our little one, the love we have for her and the joy she brings so far surpasses the hard times. She is worth it all a hundred times over. I stand in awe of the fact that our Heavenly Father loves us in the same way... even more so. It reminds me of 1 John 3:1 "See how great a love the Father has bestowed upon us, that we should be called children of God; and such we are." We have so much to learn, and I often feel overwhelmed. But what a comfort that the Lord loves us as His very own... that He delights in us even!
Ministry is going well. We spent a few weeks at the Summer Beach Project, and it was so encouraging to see that the Lord has done an amazing work in the lives of many students here at West Georgia. Four of the students became Christians this summer! Our semester kicked off Sunday with move-in day on campus, and classes start Friday. So, we've officially begun the whirlwind that is the Fall semester. We are looking forward to what this year brings! :-)

2 comments:

Amy said...

She is adorable! And apparently she looks like your husband with the dark hair and eyes.
I know my adjustment to being a mommy was very difficult and very worth it. My selfishness was/is constantly revealed. Thanks for the great perspective.
Little ones are so very precious! We are blessed to be mommies!

nick, robyn and taylor said...

She's a doll! I'm excited to see new pictures. And as Amy said, thanks for the great perspective. I remember saying to a friend when Taylor was an itty bitty baby, "I never realized how selfish I am" and other such feelings that you expressed. Sounds like y'all are adjusting well and learning great things from the Lord in the process. And yes, the time does absolutely fly! Try to drink in and savor every little bit of it.